97 N. Hatfield Road
Hatfield MA 01038
PO Box 160 Hatfield MA 01038
Phone: (413) 247-9738
Since 1982, The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts has been working behind the scenes of charitable organizations that provide food to people in need in in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, and Hampshire Counties. Its 400 member agency programs include meal sites, food pantries, homeless shelters, childcare centers, and elder programs. Each year it distributes more than six million pounds of food to these agencies to help feed people in need.
Like food banks around the country, The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts serves as a clearinghouse that connects and fulfills the needs of food industry donors, hunger-relief agencies, and, most importantly, our region’s hungry citizens. Food manufacturers, wholesalers, supermarkets, and restaurants donate consumable surplus food that otherwise would go to waste. Community organizations, schools, businesses, and individuals hold food drives and provide financial donations that help make this work possible. The Food Bank also receives USDA commodities, food purchased through a state program (the Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program, or MEFAP), and fresh, chemical-free produce from its own Food Bank Farm.
The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts also runs a Mobile Food Bank, a delivery truck full of fresh and non-perishable groceries from The Food Bank’s warehouse, shipped directly to a community site at a prescheduled time for immediate distribution to residents.In only the first six months of the program, a total of 127,646 pounds of food were distributed to more than 14,800 people (including 6,372 children).
- Orange, MA: Breakfast in the Classroom program January 4, 2018
- Monte’s March Expanding to Hampden County November 1, 2015
- Volunteers Needed at Food Bank of Western Mass. August 1, 2015
- Pick Apples for the Food Bank July 10, 2015
- Give back while you grocery shop this July July 10, 2015
- Calling All Restaurants in Western Mass July 9, 2015
- 5th Annual “Will Bike 4 Food” June 21, 2015
- The Great American Milk Drive June 21, 2015
- 5th Annual “Will Bike 4 Food” June 6, 2015
- The Great American Milk Drive is On! June 6, 2015